Laws of Food Preservation
- Use fresh, high quality vegetables & fruits.
- Use a current, tested recipe from a reliable source to ensure safety and success!
- Consult Rutgers Cooperative Extension or the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
- Keep your freezer at 0°F or below.
- Use freezer containers, bags or wrap.
- Blanch most vegetables prior to freezing for best quality.
- Treat light‐colored fruit with ascorbic acid to prevent darkening.
- Freeze fruit with or without sugar.
- Use food within the recommended storage times for best quality.
- Freezer burn happens when food dries out leaving dry, white areas.
Food Storage and Safety Resources
- Food Safety & Inspection Service, USDA.
- FOOD KEEPER App (free in your App store) – food storage, food safety, food waster & other advice. Also videos. From Cornell University, USDA & others.