- Use fresh, high quality vegetables and fruits.
- Use a current, tested recipe from a reliable source to ensure safety and success!
- Consult Rutgers Cooperative Extension or the National Center For Home Food Preservation
- Follow the recipe amounts and directions exactly for safety!
Process all jars as specified in the recipe.
High acid foods: Fruit, tomatoes (with added acid), pickled food, jam, jelly
- Process in a boiling water bath
- Add lemon juice or citric acid to all tomato and fig products
- Add 1 TBSP boiled lemon juice to a pint, or 2 TBSP to a quart
Low acid foods: All vegetables, meat, poultry, seafood and mixtures with these foods
- Use a pressure canner
Store in a cool dark place and use home canned food within one year.