Sunday, January 27, 2013
- Health: Prepare healthy meals in advance for busy nights to avoid the cost and nutritional challenges of fast foods. Easy foods to prepare ahead are soups, stews, pasta dishes, and casserole-type meals.
- Wealth: Try to save 10% of what you earn. Take your gross income and drop the last digit. For example, if you earn $40,000 a year, try to save $4,000.
Monday, January 28, 2013
- Health: Get protein in meals with small amounts of meat, poultry, and/or fish in soups and stir-fry dishes.
- Wealth: Calculate the savings needed to reach your financial goals using online financial calculators such as those found on financial publication Web sites or http://www.dinkytown.net/.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
- Health: Learn to cook inexpensive and healthy meals by reading cookbooks and watching healthy cooking television shows and online videos.
- Wealth: Save for emergency expenses and an unemployment reserve in a savings account, money market deposit account or money market mutual fund, and/or short-term certificates of deposit (CDs).
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
- Health: Make water your beverage of choice at meals and avoid beverages that add sugar and calories.
- Wealth: Save grocery receipts and review them to see how much you can save by shopping more carefully.
Thursday, January 31, 2013
- Health: Get enough sleep. In addition to problems related to lack of alertness and concentration, sleep deprivation causes an increase in appetite, often for unhealthy foods
- Wealth: Make a grocery shopping list and stick to it. Buy only what you need and get in and get out of the store quickly to avoid impulse purchases.
Friday, February 1, 2013
- Health: Get your Zzzzs. One study found women ate an average of 31grams more fat per day than others when they were sleep-deprived.
- Wealth: Check your credit report at one of “Big 3” bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) every 4 months using the www.annualcreditreport.com website.
Saturday, February 2, 2013
- Health: Incorporate aerobic exercise into your lifestyle. Examples include walking briskly outdoors or on a treadmill, dancing, and biking.
- Wealth: PowerPay your way out of debt! Visit www.powerpay.org to calculate the time and interest saved when the monthly payment amount from repaid debt is added to payments due to remaining creditors.