Sunday, January 31, 2010
The mind is everything; what you think, you become. - Buddha
- Health: Avoid food portions larger than your fist.
- Wealth: Develop a spending plan (budget) and stick to it, making adjustments as needed.
Monday, February 1, 2010
'Normal' is just a setting on the dryer. - Barbara Johnson
- Health: Drink water before your meal. It will make you feel more "full" and you'll eat less.
- Wealth: Pay off credit cards with the highest interest rate first; then add that monthly payment to what you already pay on the next highest card (see www.powerpay.org for additional information).
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises. - Demosthenes
- Health: Increase the fiber in your diet (e.g., eat more whole grain foods).
- Wealth: Set up a monthly automated deposit from your checking account into savings.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
My philosophy is that, not only are you responsible for your life, but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment. - Oprah Winfrey
- Health: Grill, steam, or bake foods instead of frying them.
- Wealth: Identify what factors can motivate you to make a financial change (e.g., fear of poverty).
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity. - John F. Kennedy
- Health: Wash your car by hand, weather permitting; you'll get lots of exercise walking around it and scrubbing it down.
- Wealth: Check your phone bill to see if you have optional features or additional services that you don't need; also consider "bundling" phone, television, and Internet service if it can save money.
Friday, February 5, 2010
Don't ask for it to be easy, ask for it to be worth it. - Dan Kuschell
- Health: Take small trips on foot to get your body moving.
- Wealth: Eat out one fewer time each month. Put that money toward your emergency fund.
Saturday, February 6, 2010
It's always too soon to quit. - Norman Vincent Peale
- Health: Acknowledge and reward your efforts with a low-calorie dessert or an inexpensive purchase.
- Wealth: Think balance - not sacrifice. Reframe your thinking...you're not doing without something completely but, rather, you're using money for something in the future that is even more important.