Sunday, April 29, 2012
- Health: Eating out? Wrap up half of a restaurant meal to take home. Even better, plan ahead and bring your own container to reduce food packaging waste.
- Wealth: Try to negotiate lower prices on major purchases such as appliances, electronics, and home remodeling supplies. Start by asking “Is this the best price available?” and inquire about cash discounts.
Monday, April 30, 2012
- Health: Eat or drink foods that have nutrients and minerals added. An example is orange juice with calcium.
- Wealth: Turn your thermostat up in the summer and down in the winter to save on utility bills. Even a difference of one degree will help lower your energy costs.
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
- Health: Lost weight? You’ll need at least 30 minutes of daily exercise to prevent regaining it. Plan time for physical activity in your daily schedule.
- Wealth: Save energy dollars. Compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs use 2/3 less energy than standard lighting.
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
- Health: Create positive mental imagery about weight loss. Picture what your “new body” will look like when you reach your goal.
- Wealth: Turn things off to save money on your electric bill. When computers, printers, and other electronics are not being used, use a power strip to disconnect them.
Thursday, May 3, 2012
- Health: Get support for your health improvement goals from a local YMCA, walking group, family members, neighbors, co-workers, and/or friends.
- Wealth: Eat expensively on the road when traveling by car for business or pleasure. Pack granola bars and fresh fruit (e.g., apples, bananas) and select hotels that serve a free breakfast.
Friday, May 4, 2012
- Health: Be physically active. Exercise at least 30 minutes per day to maintain a healthy weight.
- Wealth: Vacation inexpensively. Become a local tourist with daycations (1-day trips) and staycations (vacations near home).
Saturday, May 5, 2012
- Health: Chunk physical activity into 10-15 minute blocks throughout the day if you are pressed for time. Be creative! Build small increments of movement into your routine throughout the day.
- Wealth: Shop around for your next vacation. Compare three competing services (e.g., car rentals).