Sunday, April 25, 2010
- Health: Save high-fat desserts (e.g., cheesecake, pie, pastries) for special occasions. When you do eat high-fat desserts, have a small serving and/or share your food with a friend.
- Wealth: Continue an expense. When a household expense, such as child care or college tuition, ends, continue to make "payments" to your savings account.
Monday, April 26, 2010
- Health: Eat small portions of lean meat, fish, and poultry. Prior to cooking, trim off all fat from the meat and remove the skin from poultry.
- Wealth: Save or reduce debt with money from "extra" paychecks. People paid weekly have four months each year with five paydays and those who are paid bi-weekly have two months with three paydays.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
- Health: Use low-fat cooking methods such as broiling, baking, and poaching.
- Wealth: Purchase appliances with a high energy efficiency ratio (EER). Even if the cost is a bit higher than other appliances, over time, you'll save money from reduced energy costs.
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
- Health: For sandwiches at lunch, choose lower fat luncheon meats such as sliced turkey or chicken breast and lean ham or roast beef.
- Wealth: At the supermarket, combine coupons with store sales (a "double play") or with both store sales and product rebates (a "triple play) for additional savings.
Thursday, April 29, 2010
- Health: Add fruit to breakfast by drinking 6 oz of 100% fruit juice and/or by having fruit on cereal.
- Wealth: When eating out, take advantage of specials or select a large appetizer to eat as an entrée.
Friday, April 30, 2010
- Health: Choose fruit for dessert. Try a fruit parfait made with low-fat yogurt topped with berries.
- Wealth: Consider buying a late model "pre-owned" car instead of a new one. Have a mechanic check it out first to make sure that it is in good working condition and ask the dealer for a warranty.
Saturday, May 1, 2010
- Health: Choose whole grain bread, muffins, bagels, and rolls (e.g., whole wheat, oatmeal, multigrain).
- Wealth: Shop for clothing at clearance sales, consignment stores, thrift shops, and factory outlets.