Sunday, October 10, 2010
Good friends are good for your health. - Irwin Sarason
- Health: Take your dog to the park (or borrow one from a friend to walk with).
- Wealth: Consider holding invested assets such as stock and mutual fund shares for more than 12 months to qualify for the lower long-term capital gains tax rate.
Monday, October 11, 2010
First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. - Epictetus
- Health: Hard to be active first thing in the morning? Try exercising after work.
- Wealth: Got a spare $100 per month? Save it. If you invest $1,200 once at 8%, it will be worth almost $21,000 in 30 years. If you invest $1,200 every year for 30 years, you’ll have about $135,000!
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Accept challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory. - George Patton
- Health: Take the long way to the water cooler and/or copy machine to walk more steps.
- Wealth: Want to earn more money? Consider taking courses or learning new skills to make yourself a more valuable employee.
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be. - David Viscott
- Health: Don’t eat late at night.
- Wealth: Save money on clothing for yourself and/or children. Visit a consignment shop and buy and/or sell “gently used” clothing.
Thursday, October 14, 2010
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often. - Winston Churchill
- Health: Go for a half-hour walk instead of watching TV
- Wealth: Have your oil tank filled now, instead of later this fall, to save on fuel costs. Consider enrolling in an “equal payment (budget)” plan so that you pay the same amount for oil each month.
Friday, October 15, 2010
I can’t change the direction of the wind; But I can adjust my sails. - Unknown
- Health: Instead of eating out, bring a low-calorie lunch to work.
- Wealth: Make sure your tires are properly inflated and your engine tuned to maximize fuel economy.
Saturday, October 16, 2010
If you want things to be different, perhaps the answer is to become different yourself. - Norman Vincent Peale
- Health: Dance! Move to your favorite recorded music or “dance with the stars” on television.
- Wealth: Before it gets to cold, check out the last of the 2010 flea markets and garage sales in your neighborhood for inexpensive clothing, tools, and appliances.