Karen Ensle EdD., RD, FADA, CFCS Family and Community Health Sciences Educator Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Union County
Physical activity is important for everyone including mature adults. Pick an activity that’s easy to fit into your lifestyle and do it at least 10 minutes at one time.
- Aerobic activities will strengthen your heart and cardiovascular system. Walking briskly, dancing, or biking make your heart beat faster and your lungs and blood vessels stronger.
- Strengthening exercises are also necessary to keep your arms, legs, and internal muscles strong to support your body. They are a fun way to be with your family or friends and help improve your health.
- Ballroom and line dancing
- Biking on level ground or with few hills
- General gardening (raking, trimming shrubs)
- Sports where you catch and throw (baseball, softball, volleyball)
- Tennis (doubles)
- Walking briskly
- Water aerobics
- Aerobic dance
- Biking faster than 10 miles per hour
- Fast dancing
- Heavy gardening (digging, hoeing)
- Hiking uphill
- Jumping rope
- Martial arts (such as karate)
- Race walking, jogging, or running
- Sports with a lot of running (basketball, hockey, soccer)
- Swimming fast or swimming laps
- Tennis (singles)
|Type of Activity||Frequency||Recommendation|
If you choose activities at a moderate level, do at least 2 hours and 30 minutes a week.
Muscle Strengthening Activities
Do these at least 2 days a week.