COVID-19 UPDATE (7/15/20)
Rutgers Soil Testing Lab staff are at work, providing fee-for-service analysis of soil samples and generating reports/recommendations for all clients. Appropriate safety procedures and precautions are being followed to assure and protect the health of staff, including social distancing and use of personal protective equipment, sterilizing work surfaces and incoming packages, etc.
However, the Soil Testing Laboratory will remain closed to everyone other than staff until further notice; the building that houses the STL is not open to the public. Therefore all samples must be delivered by US Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, etc.
Because many county offices of Rutgers Cooperative Extension are also closed to the public, soil test kits may not be available for purchase locally. Use this alternative: How to get your soil tested, and find the appropriate Soil Sampling Instructions and Soil Test Questionnaire; headings describe different land use and "crop" scenarios. Read and follow the instructions; download and fill out the questionnaire; then send soil sample and questionnaire with payment to the lab.
Soil test reports are generated from the analytical data and include soil amendment recommendations; the reports are usually sent by email, with a copy sent also to the local County Cooperative Extension office for further consultation, if needed.
Travel Directions via the N.J. Turnpike (Northbound or Southbound):
- Take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 9 (New Brunswick).
- Stay to the right after going through the toll plaza and get on Route 18 North.
- Take Route 18 North to Route 1 South.
- Stay in the right lane on Route 1 South. ASB II is on the right, just after Houlihan's Restaurant.
- Park in front of the building. The Soil Testing Laboratory entrance is on the left side of the building.