Ropa Vieja is the Cuban national dish and it is a deliciously tender homey meal that will make your mouth water! Ropa Vieja means shredded cloths and it’s a description of just how delicate the flank steak is after is cooked. A Must Try!
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup low sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium jalapeno
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. capers
- ½ cups pitted green olives
- Chop bell peppers, onion, garlic, and jalapeño.
- Season the flank steak with salt and pepper. In a 4-quart slow cooker, combine with the diced tomatoes with the broth/water, bell peppers, onion, garlic, jalapeño, oregano, cumin and bay leaf. Add the flank steak, cover and cook on high for 5 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Stir-in the olives, and capers into the sauce.
- Using 2 forks, shred the meat. Return the meat to the sauce to warm through. Spoon the meat and sauce into bowls, garnish with cilantro and serve with steamed brown rice or warm whole-wheat tortillas.