Tomato soup is easy to make when you start with fresh roasted tomatoes. Tomatoes are very nutritious and develop a wonderful sweet flavor when roasted. This soup freezes well, so make a large batch at one time!
- 12 or more firm ripe plum tomatoes
- Sprinkle of salt
- Sprinkle of ground black pepper
- Sprinkle of Italian seasoning
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 cups low-fat chicken or vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse tomatoes, and cut in half length-wise. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt. Line a baking sheet with paper towels, and place tomatoes cut-side down. Allow tomatoes to stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Remove paper towels & discard. Turn tomatoes cut side up on baking sheet. Sprinkle with pepper & Italian seasoning. Place in oven & bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard tomato skins. Measure 3 sups whole roasted tomatoes.
- Place onion, garlic & butter or margarine in a stockpot. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until theonions & garlic are soft. Add the whole roasted tomatoes, and chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree all ingredients into a smooth consistency. Serve or freeze for later. Enjoy!