Hummus is so easy to make and so full of nutrients! It makes a delicious spread on your sandwich or perfect asa dip for fresh veggies. It is so nice to have on hand for a work-day snack while at your desk, or for a get-together with friends and family.
- 1 head fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for roasting garlic
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Sprinkle of salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for hummus
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (if you have a toaster/broiler oven you can use it instead of heating your largeoven). Cut a piece of aluminum foil about 12 inches square. Cut the garlic head in half crosswise. Place it on the foil. Drizzle olive oil over the cut sides of the garlic. Put the garlic back together and seal the foil tightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. The garlic cloves will be soft and fork tender.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze the garlic cloves out of the head. Set aside. Place chickpeas and garlic in a food processor. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste. Add 2 tablespoonsolive oil. Blend until thick and smooth. Add additional salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve hummus with whole grain pita bread, or fresh carrots, broccoli, celery, and red or green peppers. Enjoy!