Makes 6-8 servings.
- 5-8 garlic scapes (the curly part of the garlic plant, harvested in June)
- 1/4 cup shelled unsalted pistachios
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup grated parmesean cheese
- Sprinkle of salt & pepper
- Rinse the garlic scapes under cool running water. Cut into 3-inch sections. Add scapes, pistachios, 3 Tablespoons olive oil, and sprinkle of salt & pepper in a food processor. Process until
- a thick paste (pesto) forms. If the mixture is too thick add another Tablespoon of olive oil. Process the mixtureanother minute. Taste the pesto and add salt or pepper as needed. Set aside. Cook 1 pound of your favorite whole grain pasta according to package directions. Drain. Add Garlic Scape Pesto and stir gently until well blended. Sprinkle additional parmesean cheese if desired.
- Serve this family favorite as a satisfying meal.