Apples are a wonderful and versatile fruit that can be found in the markets all year. Making applesauce issimple! Since families love applesauce this is a good recipe to get the kids involved. Applesauce freezes well, so don’t hesitate to make a large batch and freeze it for later use.
- 8 fresh apples-Macintosh or combinations of apples works well
- 2 cups water
- Rinse apples, then remove the peel and core. Cut apples into 2 inch chunks (try to keep the sizes similar so theapples will cook consistently).
- Place cut apples in a large pot, & add 2 cups water. The water should cover the bottom of the pot. Simmer & stir often until apples are soft and very tender. As the apples cook they will naturally break into smaller sections and turn into a smooth texture. The applesauce is ready to eat when you have reached the desired texture; either chunky or smooth!
- Applesauce makes an excellent side dish, or can be stirred into low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt for a satisfying lunch or snack. It can also be frozen into popsicle molds for the children in your family.
- Freeze leftover applesauce in labeled freezer bags or containers. Enjoy!