Sunday, February 19, 2012
- Health: Plan ahead for potluck dinners. Bring a low-fat dish and select the lowest calorie/fat options. If everything on the table is fried or laced with sauces, at least you know the dish that you prepared is healthy.
- Wealth: : Save your loose change! According to America Saves, saving about a dollar a day over a year will result in about $350 of savings. Small savings add up!
Monday, February 20, 2012
- Health: In restaurants, look for low-calorie items. Don’t be afraid to ask for dressings, gravies, or sauces “on the side” and order desserts without high fat toppings.
- Wealth: Substitute “regular” coffee for high-cost drinks. According to America Saves, saving $2 a day over a year, allow you to completely fund a $500 emergency fund. For more tips, visit: http://bit.ly/ASWTips.
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
- Health: Eat out with an attitude. Control serving sizes by asking for a side dish or appetizer size serving, sharing an entree with another person, or taking some food home.
- Wealth: Save an amount equal to your spending on small nonessential items. Put a matching amount in a jar. If you can’t afford the match, you can’t afford the indulgence. For more tips, visit: http://bit.ly/ASWTips
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
- Health: Make healthy choices at fast food restaurants. Order salads, grilled items (rather than fried), regular size hamburgers (3 ounces), and unsweetened beverages. Limit the amount of condiments you add.
- Wealth: Get “free money” from the match on your employer’s 401(k) plan. With a 50% match, you receive a 50% return on your investment! Become an American Saver at http://bit.ly/Asaves.
Thursday, February 23, 2012
- Health: Buy fresh fruits and vegetables in season, freeze them, and eat them later for snacks. Try low-fat yogurt with fresh fruit or baby carrots and broccoli pieces with onion dip made from low-fat plain yogurt.
- Wealth: Pay yourself first. Save money from each paycheck as soon as you earn it, rather than waiting to see what, if anything, is left at the end of the month. Become an American Saver at http://bit.ly/Asaves.
Friday, February 24, 2012
- Health: Be aware of how much you are eating. Check the nutrition label of a food to find out what the recommended serving size of that food is and compare it to the amount that you are eating.
- Wealth: Want financial tips? Check out America Saves e-wealth coach Web site: http://bit.ly/ASWCoach.
Saturday, February 25, 2012
- Health: Be aware of serving sizes by placing one serving of a food on a plate or in a bowl or cup rather than eating right from the bag or box.
- Wealth: Make savings an “expense” in your spending plan (budget), just like rent, utility bills, or car payments. For more information about saving, visit the America Saves Web site: http://bit.ly/Asaves.