Sunday, January 16, 2011
- Health: Quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your health…and wealth!
- Wealth: When setting financial goals, make them specific and measurable with a date and a dollar amount (e.g., “save $50 per week in 401(k) plan” and “save $10,000 for a new car in five years”).
Monday, January 17, 2011
- Health: Average Americans consume less than 2 cups of fruits and vegetables per day. It should be 4-5 cups. Plan to include fruits and veggies in all of your daily meals and snacks.
- Wealth: Keep track of your credit card spending. Keep a running tally of all your purchases so you know when you’re close to the maximum amount that you can comfortably afford to repay next month.
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
- Health: Healthy food won’t help you if it goes to waste. Plan to serve leftovers soon or freeze them.
- Wealth: Got holiday gift cards? You have 5 years to use them without penalty…unless a retailer folds.
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
- Health: Now is a great time to eat the produce that you froze last summer (e.g., tasty and nutritious blueberries and strawberries from local farm stands)`
- Wealth: The oldest baby boomers born in 1946 are turning 65 this year (one every eight seconds) and are now eligible for Medicare. For additional information, see www.medicare.gov.
Thursday, January 20, 2011
- Health: Try some pumpkin soup or pumpkin bread on a cold winter’s night. Pumpkins are an excellent source of Vitamin A, low in fat, and high in potassium.
- Wealth: Staying home this weekend? See where you stand financially by calculating your net worth (assets minus debts). Use this worksheet (PDF).
Friday, January 21, 2011
- Health: Eat whole grains to get fiber in your diet and feel full with healthy food instead of empty calories.
- Wealth: How much will your savings grow to? Check out this helpful calculator.
Saturday, January 22, 2011
- Health: Get moving, get healthy, feel better! Even moderate exercise can kick start "feel good brain chemical neurotransmitters."
- Wealth: Are you ready for retirement? Check out this helpful Retirement Readiness Financial Checklist from U.S. News & World Report.