Sunday, May 5, 2013
- Health: Practice daily health maintenance. Eat nutritious food and get regular exercise and adequate sleep.
- Wealth: Stay informed about personal finance with newspapers and magazines, TV financial news, adult education classes, and eXtension’s Personal Finance Web site.
Monday, May 6, 2013
- Health: Invest in your health through lifestyle choices (e.g., physical activity). Good health is wealth!
- Wealth: Hedge future interest rate changes by building a bond or certificate of deposit (CD) ladder comprised of bonds and CDs with different maturities.
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
- Health: Live the phrase “If it is to be, it is up to me.” Set doable goals and take daily action steps.
- Wealth: Plan for the possibility that you may not be able to handle your finances with a power of attorney.
Wednesday, May 8, 2013
- Health: Fit physical activity into a busy work/commuting schedule. Look for pockets of time throughout the day such as before work, during your lunch hour, and right after you get home from work.
- Wealth: Consider a target-date mutual fund for retirement savings. It will gradually get more conservative as the target date (e.g., 2030 or 2050) approaches and have less stock in its portfolio.
Thursday, May 9, 2013
- Health: Take positive action to lower your body mass index (BMI). Eat nutritious foods and get moving, get healthy with daily physical activity.
- Wealth: Pay yourself first. Aim to save 10% of your gross income. If you earn $50,000, you would save just under $100 per week.
Friday, May 10, 2013
- Health: Think energy balance. Balance food intake (eating) and outgo (physical activity). Even small changes make a big difference such as 100 fewer calories per day and 30 minutes of daily exercise.
- Wealth: Check out www.mymoney.gov for links to financial information from over a dozen different federal government agencies.
Saturday, May 11, 2013
- Health: Cut 100 calories a day to lose 10 pounds in a year: 8 oz. cola, 8 oz. beer, 1 ½ tbsp. salad dressing, and 9 medium potato chips.
- Wealth: Visit the FINRA website to learn about investing and investment fraud.