Sunday, May 9, 2010
- Health: Happy Mother's Day! Enjoy some quality time together by taking a leisurely walk today.
- Wealth: Avoid being "upside down" on a car loan, which means that you owe more than the car is worth. Make a large down payment and take as short a loan (e.g., 3 years versus 5 years) as possible.
Monday, May 10, 2010
- Health: Reduce your risk of colon cancer with regular physical activity. Physical activity may also help fight other obesity-related cancers (e.g., kidney, breast, and gall bladder).
- Wealth: If you carry a balance on your credit card, pay bills promptly to reduce the average daily balance on which interest is charged.
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
- Health: If you have trouble finding time to exercise, try several 10-minute "bursts" of activity throughout the day. Three 10-minute periods can provide almost all the health benefits of one 30-minute session.
- Wealth: Understand your investments. Don't invest beyond your knowledge and risk tolerance level.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
- Health: Drink plenty of water before, during, and after exercise workouts to avoid dehydration.
- Wealth: Lay away items so they will be available when you have the cash to buy them. Sometimes, while you are making payments, the price of your item will be reduced and you can get it on sale.
Thursday, May 13, 2010
- Health: Exercise regularly with a friend or family member for both companionship and accountability.
- Wealth: Inquire about discounts on purchases by asking merchants "Is this the best price available?"
Friday, May 14, 2010
- Health: Switch from butter or stick margarine to a lower-fat tub margarine that spreads thinly on bread.
- Wealth: Buy items "off season" (i.e., before or at the end of a season) to save 10% to 30% (or more) off their retail price. Two examples are buying air conditioners in February and snow blowers in September.
Saturday, May 15, 2010
- Health: Eat more beans and lentils. Try bean dips with low-fat tortilla chips or hummus (made from chickpeas) on a sandwich or as a dip.
- Wealth: Request a discount when paying cash, especially for large purchases. Many merchants will oblige because they must pay as much as 5% of the purchase price on items bought with credit cards.