Euphorbia spp.

Photo of Poinsettia
Photo by Dr. George Wulster, specialist in floriculture
Rutgers Cooperative Extension

There is some disagreement about the toxicity of this plant. Some claim that the foliage is poisonous if eaten. However, the POISONEX R Information Service states that even at levels as high as 1.25 pounds of bracts (500-600 bracts) a child of 50 pounds would not be affected. The American Medical Association finds no deaths or serious injuries attributed to poinsettia ingestion. While its safety has been proven, the poinsettia, like other ornamental plants is of course not intended for human consumption.

Additional Images

  1. Rutgers
  2. Executive Dean of Agriculture and Natural Resources
  3. School of Environmental and Biological Sciences