Fresh herbs add flavor to foods and reduce the need for salt, sugar and fat. Many herbs, like mint and parsley grow easily in containers.
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup mint, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 4 scallions or green onions, chopped
- sprinkle of salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons light balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- Cook couscous according to package directions then set aside.
- Chop parsley, mint & cilantro, then place in a large bowl. Add chopped tomatoes, zucchini, & scallions. Add cooled couscous then toss gently. Add salt & pepper to taste, drizzle with balsamic salad dressing. Toss lightly, then serve as a side dish or tasty lunch!
Note-this recipe was created in collaboration with Alice Henneman, MS, RD, Extension Educator, Universityof Nebraska-Lincoln.