Ground Cherry

Physalis spp.

Photo of Ground Cherry
Photo by Dr. John Meade, weed scientist emeritus
Rutgers Cooperative Extension

The fruit of this plant is enclosed in a part of the flower and is not very toxic but shouldn't be eaten. The plant is also called Chinese lantern and is used for decorative purposes. The unripe fruits are poisonous, but various references indicate that the mature fruit may be cooked and made into pies and jellies without harm.

Additional Images


  1. Rutgers
  2. Executive Dean of Agriculture and Natural Resources
  3. School of Environmental and Biological Sciences